- 1989 LLM - University of Kiel, Germany (Public International Law)
- 1988 DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Scholarship
- 1984 Admitted as Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court, New Zealand
- 1984 BA, LLB - University of Otago
1999 - Present
- Since 1999, a Barrister at Eldon Chambers, Auckland, specialising in public law litigation with an associated civil and commercial litigation practice.
- Clients have included Genesis Energy Limited, Te Runanga o Ngai Tahu, Mighty River Power Limited (Maori water rights), the Crown Law Office, the Greek Shipping Company Costamare (the grounding of the RENA off Taruanga), the Securities Commission and Maori Treaty claimants (Ngati Kuri Treaty Settlement negotiations 2011 – 2014).
- I have represented both the Crown and Maori claimants before the Waitangi Tribunal on many large land, resource and Treaty settlement claims (Hauraki, Gisborne, CNI, Urewera, Whanganui, Tamaki Makaurau Settlement Inquiry and Tuhoronuku Mandate). I have acted as amicus curiae in many judicial review/public law proceedings in the High Court, including human rights litigation.
2008 - 2013 (current)
- Part-time member of the Weathertight Homes Tribunal, Auckland.
2000 - 2006
- Part-time member of the Refugee Status Appeals Authority, Auckland.
1999 - 2013 (current)
- Member of the Auckland Crown Solicitor’s Prosecution Panel . I have also conducted 3-4 criminal legal aid cases as defence counsel per year since 1999.
1993 - 1999
- Crown Counsel, Treaty Issues and International Law Team, Crown Law Office, Wellington - Team Leader from 1996-1999. Represented Crown in public law litigation in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Privy Council. Also represented Crown in Waitangi Tribunal and Maori Land Court.
1990 - 1993
- Senior Solicitor, Russell McVeagh, Solicitors, Auckland
- Employment law and commercial litigation.
1984 - 1987
- Solicitor, Meredith Connell & Co, Crown Solicitors, Auckland
- Prosecuted criminal jury trials, summary prosecutions and represented the Crown in criminal appeals.
Appearance as counsel in the following:
- NZ Maori Council and Durie v Foulkes and Others,  NZHR 1777.
- Glenn Walker v G2 Finance Holdings Limited,  NZHC183.
- Ranchhod v Professional Conduct Committee, High Court, Auckland CIV 2010-404-008009 - 14 June 2011
- Tyco International Limited v Securities Commission, High Court, Wellington CIV 2008-485-2707 – 11 March 2011
- Samoa Party v Attorney-General  WSSC 23
- Henderson Global Funds v Securities Commission,  NZCCLR 18
- New Zealand Transport Agency v Moradi High Court Auckland CIV 2009-40402507-26 November 2009
- New Zealand Police v Aylwin  NZHC 10
- Re Stewart  1 NZLR 354 (Court of Appeal)
- Air New Zealand v Director of Civil Aviation  3 NZLR 796
- Wellington District Legal Services Committee v Tangiora  1 NZLR 17 (Court of Appeal and Privy Council)
- Treaty Times Coalition – Te Runanga O Ngati Porou and Tainui Maori Trust Board v Urban Maori Authorities, Treaty of Waitangi Fisheries Commission and Ors  1 NZLR 513 (Court of Appeal and Privy Council)
- Atawhai Taiaroa and Ors v Ministry of Justice  1 NZLR 411 (Court of Appeal and Privy Council)
- Ngai Tahu Maori Trust Board v Director-General of Conservation  3 NZLR 553 (Court of Appeal)
- Te Runanga O Te Ika Whenua Inc Society v Attorney-General and Ors  2 NZLR 20 (Court of Appeal)
As a Barrister I have conducted three investigations into alleged corruption in the public service. This includes the Scampi fishery inquiry in 2002.
Refugee Status Appeal Authority Judgments
I have written the following judgments:
- Refugee Appeal No. 75432  NZRSAA (8 June 2006)
- Refugee Appeal No. 73964  NZRSAA 49 (9 March 2006)
Weathertight Homes Tribunal Judgments
I have written the following judgments as a member of the Weathertight Homes Tribunal:
- Cole v Realty Insight Limited  NZWHT 8
- Cole v Realty Insight Limited  NZWHT 25
- Tomov v Auckland Council  NZWHT 34
- Huang v Auckland Council and Lamb  NZWHT 26
- Philpott v Jones  NZWHT 16
- Talbrow Family Trust v Moorhead  NZWHT 31
- Ashley v Bull  NZWHT 25
- Get In & Walk Trust v Taupo Texture Coatings Limited  NZWHT 43
- Roos v Wang  NZWHT 10
- Body Corporate 199883 v Clarke  NZWHT 22
- French (some)
- Te Reo Maori (basic)
- References can be provided on request.